PREP 2 – Early Childhood Services (ECS)
What do we do at PREP?
PREP’s enriched Early Childhood Learning (ECS) classes for children 2 1/2 to 5 1/2 years of age nurtures the love of learning! Each student has an Individual Program Plan (IPP) that identifies goals for social, behavioural, school readiness, communication and motor skill development. Individual speech therapy is offered once weekly and parents are encouraged to participate in therapy sessions. Occupational therapy and physiotherapy are provided on a regular consult basis to the class, and on an individual basis as needed. Physiotherapy services are provided by Calgary Youth Physiotherapy.
Students attend classes two mornings per week. Parents volunteer once a month to observe and “learn by doing”. To ensure effective information sharing with parents and generalization of new skills to home and school, PREP staff makes several home visits during the school year. It is recommended that children also participate in a community preschool program assisted by an education assistant; fees are covered by the PUF grant. PREP staff visits the community placement to observe and provide feedback. Upon graduation from the ECS classes, PREP staff assists families in making a smooth transition to Kindergarten in the community school.
- Small class size – maximum of 12
- Individual Program Planning
- Individual speech-language therapy
- Regular OT and PT consults
- Classroom, art room and gym
- Quality materials
- Peer involvement
- Focus on building independence
- Structured routine
- Experienced staff
- Parent information mornings
- Family Support Liaisons FSCD
- Family focused
- Parent volunteer program
- Preparation for entry into inclusive kindergarten programming
- “We love PREP, the focus and attention PREP gives to my children is awesome, and they are always showing/talking the skills and activities they learn at school at home. I can see big improvement in (my child’s) ability and her communication skills. Thanks!” – parent of child with Ds and peer model
- “We are honoured by the way the ECS staff give our son the same consideration they give the other students. We are proud to be part of the PREP family! (And our son LOVES it!!) – parent of peer model
- “So many things, PREP is part of our family.” parent of child with Ds
- “Thank you so much for all your great work, dedication and care for our children, helping them reach their full potential.” – parent of child with Ds
- “We have appreciated the support and advice that has been given to us this year.” – parent of child with Ds
- “I like the professionalism of the teachers. The class incorporates all the Life Skills. Thank God for PREP.” – parent of child with Ds
Membership Fee and Funding Information
- Membership to the Society – $75.00 CDN/ yearly Society Fee is mandatory to access all PREP programs.
- The PREP Program is an accredited PUF operator under the auspices of Alberta Learning, and services ECS age students 2 1/2 to 5 1/2 years of age.
- Peer models who are 2 years old as of September 1, 2012 can enroll and pay a $135.00 monthly fee in addition to the society fee.
Visitors Welcome! Contact Kim Doig, ECS Supervisor, to book a visit at 282-5011 ext. 117 firstname.lastname@example.org .